Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Range & Easy Manicotti

First, I have to apologize for the pictures. I was a little overly excited about the new range and didn't make sure I had good pictures. I forgot to take a picture of the Manicotti until it was already put in the container to go in the fridge. Sorry!
Okay, I'd like you to meet the newest member of our family! I LOVE it!!!! It's a Frigidaire and I'd tell you the model, but I couldn't find it on the Lowe's website even though I know it's there because I've looked at it almost daily up until Sunday. It is a convection oven and flat top cooking surface. There is a feature called "Speed Bake" that circulates the heat inside the oven and everything is supposed to bake 30% faster. TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! I can also use all 3 racks (yes, I said 3 racks!!!) and you don't have to push the buttons very hard to get them to work! It can also change between Fahrenheit and Celsius AND it has a setting for the Sabboth! I thought that was weird, but after reading about the setting I learned something new. I had no clue there were certain temperatures to use during the Jewish holiday! How many people can say that their range is kosher?
I like to just stand in my kitchen and look at my new range. Whenever my husband gets near it I get nervous because I think he's going to get it dirty or set something on it. I've been told it's the same feeling when you have a baby. So here's a picture of my new baby:

No, my dachsund isn't in the oven, she's standing in front of me so her refelction is in the window of the door. I think the poor dogs were worried we were moving again when we were taking the old one out and bringing the new one in. Once all of the moving was finished, they were much calmer.
The first meal I made in my new oven of course was a messy recipe. You should have seen me freak out because there were red sauce dors on the control panel. I love manicotti, but hated making it because it's such a pain to stuff them. Not anymore!!! This recipe is so easy! The picture is a little saucier than it should be because we had another jar of sauce in the fridge from something else and it needed to get used. I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it became a quick favorite in my house.
Sorry again for the bad picture, it looks a lot better than this - trust me!
Easy Manicotti

1 (8 ounce) package manicotti shells
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
14 pieces string cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Cook manicotti according to package directions.
2. Meanwhilem in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium hear until meat is no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Spread about 1/4 of the meat sauce into a greased 13 x9 x 2 baking dish.
4. Drain manicotti; stuf each sehll with a pice of string cheese. Place over meat sauce; top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at 350° F for 24-30 minutes or until heated through.
5. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and back, uncovered for 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!!!!!

1 comment:

Snowball said...

Nice oven. Congratulations on the new toy.

About the dumplings. If you want the shape of the dumpling to remain nice, you will have to keep the ingredient as dry as possible. e.g.: all the vegetable used, rub a little salt in them after they are grated/chopped and let it marinate for a few minutes then squeeze out as much water out of the vegetables as possible.

As for the skin, use hot boiling water so that the gluten in the flour will make the dough more elastic when you are making the dumplings.

To marinate the filling, use chicken stock powder and a little salt and pepper. Give it a try again. It more fun eating dumplings made from home.

Luv
Snowball