Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Au Gratin Potatoes

I decided I better give you a non baking recipe. These are really yummy. My picture is crappy though! You can't see the bacon and it just doesn't look like how it did when I made it. I promise I'll start working on my photography!!
The recipe says to use Velveeta cheese. DO NOT USE THE GENERIC!!!! Trust me! I'm not going to give you the details on why I no longer buy generic processed cheese. Just trust me.
My mom used to make really great Au Gratin Potatoes and people would ask her to make them for potlucks and other functions. She never taught me how to make her potatoes and then she changed her recipe and started using boxed mixes to sped the process up and I no longer wanted her recipe. I searched and searched for a recipe like hers and combined 3 recipes to make my own version and I think my version is WAY better than I remember my mom's being. Enjoy!!
Au Gratin Potatoes
8 russet potatoes, cubed and peeled
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of celery soup
2 cups milk
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 pounds Velveeta, cubed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Bacon Crumbles (as much or as little as you want)
1. Place potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
2. Sprinkle bacon crumbles over potatoes.
3. in a medium sauce pan, combine soup, milk and flour over medium heat. bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, pepper and paprika. reduce heat and cook until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour sauce over potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes until bubbly.

1 comment:

Peanut said...

Oh I'm making these. They sound so yummy