Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cowboy Bread & Pastry Knife

Hope you all had a great Mother's Day weekend. My mom died over a year ago and we didn't have the greatest relationship when she died, but she is the one that taught me how to bake which is one of my most favorite hobbies, so that is why I made this recipe this weekend. One of the recipes I learned to bake with was the following. You can use a fork to make the recipe, but a pastry knife is so much easier! There are a couple different designs for one, but this is the one I like the most. It's easier to get the job done. I bought one of these just for this recipe, but you can use them on any recipe that tells you to cut in butter, shortening, etc.
This is a breakfast cake that is very yummy served warm with melted butter on top. It's good served cold without butter, too. It's also good as a snack, dessert or I've even been known to eat it for lunch or dinner! Enjoy!

Cowboy Bread
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup sour milk (or regular milk plus 1 teaspoon regular vinegar and let sit a few minutes)
2 eggs
Cut flour, sugar, salt and butter together until crumb-like in texture. Remove 1/2 cup and reserve for topping. To the remaning, add all other ingredients and mix until batter is smooth. Pour in greased 9x13-inch pan. Spinkle topping over top of batter. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until done.

No comments: