Thursday, July 9, 2009

Grilled Chicken Salad & Fried Spinach

Since I've been neglecting my blog lately, I'm going to share 2 recipes with you today! It's summer and these 2 recipes are great summer time recipes. They're both recipes that I made up totally on my own. The first is a grilled Chicken salad. Chicken salad sounded really really good one day when the temperatures out side were way above 100 degrees. I decided to grill the chicken because it sounded really good, plus using the grill outside wouldn't heat up the inside of the house! Smart huh? We tried the salad in several different ways of serving and they were all really good. We tried it on a bed of lettuce & tomato, on crackers, on a sandwich and even on it's own. Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Salad
3 Chicken breasts, grilled and cut into chunks
5 Hard boiled eggs, cut into pieces
3-4 Stalks of celery, chopped up
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/4 cup mayo
1/2-1 cup miracle whip
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 small box of raisins
1/2-1 cup chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients together and serve cold.
The next recipe is Fried Spinach. Our neighbor has a garden that is going crazy right now and she insisted on me taking a bunch of spinach, but there are very few ways I like spinach served. I have had fried spinach in a restaurant before and when I searched the Internet I couldn't find a recipe. Everything I could find was just frying spinach and that was it, but I wanted it battered like I had at the restaurant so I had to come up with my own batter. This batter is a thin batter, that's why it says 1/2 to 1 cup of milk. You want it to just barely cover the leaves so you can still taste the spinach under the batter. I think this would be really good on other vegetables and maybe some meats. If you try it on other vegetables, please send me a picture to add to this post to share with other people. I think the next time I go to the farmer's market, I'm going to get some onions to try it on! I know you'll enjoy this!!



Fried Spinach
2 cups flour
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 - 1 cup milk
Oil or shortening for frying
Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Put 1 cup of flour on a plate.
Mix flour, egg, salt, pepper and baking powder in a shallow bowl. Mix enough milk in to make a thin batter. Dip spinach leaves into flour and shake off excess. Dip leaves into batter and place into oil. Turn once the bottom is brown and dry the other side until it is also brown. Place fried spinach on paper towel and sprinkle with more salt.
Spinach, washed & dried (water & oil don't mix!!)

No comments: